- Dispenses controlled adjustable volumes
- Allows drinking through a straw or from the cup
- Top cut-out for drinking without tilting the head back
- Does Not Leak
- Dishwasher safe
RiJe® Cup, designed to work with a variety of thin and thick liquids.
It should be noted, that thickness of liquids is an informal concept of viscosity that is a quantitative description of the fluid’s ability to flow. For example, honey has a much higher viscosity (or “thickness”) than water.
The International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) proposes liquid classification based on its thickness, dividing liquids into 5 levels. The following cross-reference table provides IDDSI levels with their corresponding names vs. commonly used liquid names among the food and beverage industry and SLP professionals. Upon adoption of the IDDSI Framework across the industry, the new names will be used.
It might be cross-referenced as follows:
IDDSI Liquid Thickness Category Level
IDDSI Liquid Thickness Category Name
Slightly Thick Liquid
Mildly Thick Liquid
Moderately Thick Liquid
Extremely Thick Liquid
Other commonly used Liquid names
Nectar Thick Liquids
Honey Thick Liquids
Jelly or Puddings
Use of a proper plug for a particular liquid insures optimal combination of liquid delivery time, accuracy of regulation, and bolus volume consistency.
Please note that the thickness of a liquid is highly dependent on temperature, thickening time, and brand of thickener used. As a rule, the thickness increases when the temperature goes down and/or the thickening time gets longer. In other words, over time, the same beverage can deviate from one category to another. For example, a yogurt drink at room temperature can have a thickness of Slightly Thick Liquid (Light Nectar), but after being cooled in a fridge, its thickness might increase to Level 2, Mildly Thick Liquid (Nectar-Thick Liquids).
Please note: RiJe® Cup doesn’t work with carbonated liquids, substances like jelly or puddings, liquids with pulps, or clots. Also, RiJe Cup doesn’t work with soups that contain hard ingredients.
Although, RiJe® Cup can dispense Moderately Thick Liquids (Honey-Thick Liquids), its fairly long delivery time makes the use of RiJe Cup for those liquids impractical.
Cold and hot, thin and nectar-thickened liquids such as water, tea, coffee, apple juice, no-pulp orange, tomato juices, milk, drinkable yogurt, hot chocolate, Boost®, Ensure®, and many others.
® Cup is beneficial? The cup versatile design combines all important features to meet needs of users with disability:
- It controls liquid flow preventing overflowing the mouth and gulping, thus reducing the risk of choking and liquid aspiration.
- It allows easy switching between thin and thick liquids following the advice of Speech Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist and other medical professional;
- It forms and dispenses personalized liquid boluses allowing the user to better control liquid in the mouth, thus supporting safer and easier swallowing;
- It allows the user to choose between drinking through a straw or directly from the cup with cut-out top.
Why adjustable volume is important:
For whom RiJe
- It allows to create an individually tailored sip amount thereby supporting thirst satisfaction and improving hydration;
- It allows to easily increase or decrease the swallow amount according to an advice of SLP or OT
- It serves the user longer by supporting the user at different stages of a disorder whether it is a rehabilitation or degenerative condition.
® Cup is designed:
For those who suffer with dysphagia, motor disabilities, developmental delay, dementia and, other ailments including stroke, Parkinson’s, ALS, MLS, Cerebral Palsy, head, neck and chest cancer and injury.
How it works:
RiJe Cup automatically dispenses a limited portion of liquid each time it stands in its upright position. Once the portion is withdrawn and the cup put upright – it delivers another portion within 2 - 3 seconds. Built-in regulator allows adjusting portion size before the cup is filled with liquid.
The cup’s versatile design combines all important features to meet needs of individuals with disabilities: • Controls liquid flow preventing overflowing the mouth and gulping, thus reducing the risk of choking and liquid aspiration. • Allows easy switching between thin and nectar-thick liquids following the advice a medical professional. • Forms and dispenses personalized liquid boluses allowing the user to better control liquid in the mouth, thus supporting safer and easier swallowing. • Allows the user to choose between drinking controlled volumes through a straw or directly from the cup’s cut-out top. • RiJe® Cup’s wide base provides better stability and reduce spillage. • Large nosey cut-out allows drinking without tilting the head back.