Solid Insert Amputee Cushions have an extended side to support above-knee amputations (AKA) or below-knee amputations (BKA). Amputee Cushions and Wedges come with a solid insert to eliminate hammocking and to support the lower extremity. They are manufactured with a minimum of two inches of HR Polyurethane foam and one inch of Visco Layering. Velcro straps are attached to prevent the cushion from sliding in the chair.
Each Amputee Cushion is resident specific, and comes with 1" Visco.
FLIP DOWN AMPUTEE
The advantages of Flip-Down Amputee Cushions as opposed to Rigid Amputee Cushions are:
- The flip-down portion of the cushion releases to assist in transfer if needed
- Flip Down Amputee Cushions may be used for both BKA’s and AKA’s.
To measure below knee amputations (BKA) flexed amputee extensions:
- Have the patient seated all the way to the back of the wheelchair.
- Measure from the front edge of the wheelchair sling to approximately 1 1/2 inches behind the knee.
To measure BKA extended and above knee amputations (AKA):
- Seat patient all the way in the back of the wheelchair.
- Measure from the front edge of the wheelchair sling to the end of the amputation and add 1 inch.