A Contrac-Tree consists of three separate pieces attached by Hook & Loop fastener and nylon felt. The ContracTree is extremely helpful at inhibiting lower extremity contractures, particularly if each lower extremity has more than plus or minus 5 degrees difference. Examples of appropriate situations for a Contrac-Tree are:
- The left lower extremity will range to almost full extension, but has heel decub and is adducting hard towards the right lower extremity.
- The right lower extremity has a range of 90 degrees flexion and you want to prevent furthercontracture.
- The resident can comfortably be abducted the desired inches (2, 3 or 4 Inches) between knees.
All measurements are to be taken in inches with the patient lying in the supine position. It's best if measurements are taken with a yard stick.
- A. Measure from behind the knee (Popliteal) straight down to the surface of the mattress.
- B. Measure from behind the knee (Popliteal) to the heel. Do not measure the curve of the patients calf.
- C. Place the ruler flat on the mattress surface and measure from the heel to where the thigh or buttocks first meets the bed
- Abduction = ________ The amount of separation needed at the knees (The standards are 2 inches and 3 inches. 4 inches may be ordered as well. Please see price list below.)